Llechwedd Slate Caverns case study
Llechwedd Slate Caverns is an attraction in Snowdonia, which has 175,000 visitors per year. Situated near the historic slate mining town of Blaenau Ffestiniog, it combines a Victorian mine tour; slate workshop; and slate mining exhibition with a gift shop; café; and play area. There are also mountain bike tracks and three adventure attractions. As well as appealing to tourists, the venue is an education resource for schools and community groups.
Increase in Facebook page likes, from 300 to 1500
Increase in average number of views for each Facebook post, from 400 to over 1,200
Viral impressions, linked to posts, likes, sharing and comments
- Better interaction with visitors, encourage repeat visits, radically improve sales
- Build profiles of customers, including age, gender, hometown, interests, etc
- Capture high volumes of email addresses for electronic direct marketing campaigns
- Stimulate growth through social media and increase engagement with likes and shares etc
- Improve awareness of visitors needs, and improve opportunities to interact with them
Llechwedd Slate Caverns partnered with Purple to install standard enterprise BT Broadband, linked on Purple’s recommendation to Openmesh Access Points (in the café and Emporium). Purple will eventually add additional WiFi access points across the site. Initially, positioning the routers in sales areas was tactical – encouraging visitors to stay and use free high speed WiFi to access the Internet increases dwell time and stimulates spend.