1) What is your very first memory?
Being in our back yard, playing in the mud and my older sister trying to ride a bike and coming off big time. I remember thinking that was great.
2) What were you doing before you joined Purple WiFi?
I was responsible for Americas and EMEA Sales for Smith Micro Software, specialists in wireless device connection management software. They were selling to wireless operators like T-Mobile and Sprint, and cable companies like Comcast and Time Warner Cable.
3) When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
4) Do you have a nickname?
Mr Magoo (due to wearing glasses with black rims). Or ‘Lips’!
5) Describe your role at Purple in one sentence
My job is to blow up Purple WiFi business in the Americas through revenue generation from licensing sales, SALES, SALES of Purple WiFi software through large Service Providers, and Enterprise channels.
6) What do you like about working here?
Buying new purple shirts for work and seeing Eric’s new hairdos … new and fresh weekly on Skype.
7) What’s your best achievement so far at Purple? (what are you proud of?)
I like the progress into Verizon, AT&T, plus we signed a Master Services Agreement with CenturyLink. I have multiple opportunities identified for sales across all targeted segments and have been able to engage with 15 out of 37 Service Provider accounts in the last two months. As a team, we also have closed business in the last few days. Really happy to have Stacy and Chris on board for team ‘Muricas’.
8) How would your co-workers describe you?
An idiot … but direct, experienced, focused on the challenge, reasonably good at what I do.
9) Who has made you laugh today?
Donald Trump’s latest comments. Unreal!
10) What quality do you most admire in others?
Being real and having a sense of humour.
11) Which person has been the greatest influence in your life and why?
My adorable wife Christine of course! As any married bloke will tell you, after so many years of “training” one is beaten into submission and learns that the meaning to life is simply ‘yes dear’!
12) What’s your biggest regret?
I did not make the All Blacks, in fact I did not make any representative team. I was obviously not very good and so that’s actually my biggest regret.
13) What do you like to do in your spare time?
It’s always good to have family time then get out on the road doing something like coaching rugby or getting in the water. I like surfing, biking and fishing too.
14) What is your favourite film?
15) What makes you happy?
Family and friends. I like new challenges so I’m up for anything that way e.g. triathlons, fishing trips, new places, road trips etc.
16) What gift would you like to receive if money was no object?
Rugby World Cup final tickets and a Purple WiFi corporate box at Twickenham.
17) Which cause are you most passionate about?
Cecil the Lion.
18) If you’re in trouble, who would you call?
19) If you could choose a superpower, what would it be and why?
Seeing through walls would help in those times when you are not sure if anyone is in. It would save having to knock and wait.
20) Finally, how would you spend a day with no access to technology?
On or near the ocean doing whatever can be done without technology – which is a lot!